We all have to use Word (or similar) from time to time, if only to open the latest weird file type someone just emailed. But for creative writing on a Mac, Scrivener is still king of the hill. Now, Lifehacker readers can get 55% off Scrivener 2.
It has been the go-to app for OS X writers for some time, and for good reason. Trying to write something meaningful with Word's crazy toolkit in the way can be seriously frustrating, and Scrivener offers a clean, clutter-free environment. Even so, the current version (v.2) is also loaded with features, such as draft versioning and script formatting, plus storyline aids like an outliner and a virtual corkboard for arranging scenes. It's also happy to sync with a whole bunch of mobile note-taking apps. Lifehacker is a fan, saying "Once you've used Scrivener, it seems, it's hard to go back, or just imagine turning back, to traditional word processors."
Right now, Scrivener 2 has 55% off, making it $20. Click the link to get the deal, or scroll down for more.
Here's the full feature list…
- Edit Multiple Documents – "Scrivenings" mode temporarily combines individual documents into a single text, allowing you to view and edit sections of your manuscript in isolation or as a whole
- Corkboard – virtual index cards store a synopsis for every document, so you can storyboard and rearrange your project
- Outlining – a fully-featured outliner helps you control the structure of your work
- Collections – create collections to keep arbitrary lists of documents and research, independent of their regular order
- Full Screen Editing – view your text without distractions in full-screen mode
- Scriptwriting – switch to scriptwriting mode for screen or stage play formatting (automatic or custom), then export to a dedicated scriptwriting program such as Final Draft
- Snapshots – taking a "snapshot" of a document allows you to edit, in the confidence that you can restore earlier revisions
- QuickReference Panes – load research documents or notes into floating windows for limitless access to reference material, even in full-screen mode
- Plus text syncing with many popular iOS apps, and the option to export your finished draft to your favorite word processor.
Scrivener requires an Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.6–10.9. Check the link below for more info.
Bonus Deal: FollowUp.cc is an easy to use tool that automates email follow-up reminders. For a little while, you can get 62% off of their One-Year Pro Plan. The Pro plan allows you 2500 reminders/month, 10 GB attachment support, and 10 email accounts. It's down from $216 to $79.99.
Written by Mark Myerson
StackSocial brings you deals on software, apps, gadgets, tutorials, and design. So to be clear, this post is not editorial and we make money on sales.